Your Personal Injury Attorney

Hablamos español | Nós falamos português | Nou pale Kreyòl

Can a Homeowner’s Insurance Policy Cover Personal Liability Claims?

Parties are meant to be loads of fun, but unintentional mishaps can occur to end your good time. Maybe you slipped and fell. Maybe the homeowner’s dog bit you on the leg. Depending on the facts and circumstances of the incident, that particular homeowner could be liable for your injury due to their negligence to maintain a safe environment for guests or invitees. Thankfully, there are precautions that can be set in place to alleviate a premises liability claim. The real question is: will the homeowner’s insurance plan cover your injury?

Homeowners liability coverage is considered a third-party claim and can be directed as a personal injury lawsuit to the homeowner. Typically, homeowners liability coverage covers all of your losses associated with the injury, including but not limited to medical bills, lost income, or pain and suffering, subject to some possible legal exclusions. Even though most claims are settled up to a certain limitation, special circumstances will prompt the homeowner to cover losses surpassing the limit. For example, this may occur if the victim suffered permanent or serious damage. Additionally, many policies include an umbrella of provisions to help the homeowner cover any expenses incurred due to said injury. A homeowners insurance policy may include legal support for the individual being sued.

Accidents can happen anywhere, even under another’s roof. Just because an injury occurred due to a homeowner’s negligence, doesn’t mean you shouldn’t receive the compensation you deserve. As in any personal injury case, if you have been injured in an accident on another’s premises, it is important to seek professional legal help. As a Coral Springs premises liability lawyer, Cindy Goldstein can assess your case to determine the appropriate legal recourse and represent you in any injury claim or lawsuit that might follow. For more information regarding premises liability claims or homeowners insurance coverage, please contact Law Firm of Cindy Goldstein.